Thursday, February 18, 2016

Lent

On last Wednesday night Marcus and I went to Ash Wednesday Mass.  This is my favorite mass of the year. It is a pretty happy one and really makes me feel reflective.  The sermon was good and Marcus was really good, especially considering it was almost bedtime when we left, right after communion (not going to focus on it but I will tell you that a meltdown did happen then).     Anyway, as a Catholic there is a tradition that we are supposed to give up something for lent so that we experience a bit of discomfort and remember sacrifice.  So Catholic's give up chocolate or alcohol or swearing, following that general idea.  This year I decided to go on a different path, not because the traditional isn't good but because there are few things in my life that represent actual real sacrifice- the lack of chocolate or alcohol would be an inconvience and  momentarily remind me that I am with holding something from myself but this year that isn't quite enough.  My Lenten promise is instead to focus better and calm my brain more.  Instead of taking something away, I am adding something to the equation.  So it comes down to this. I am going to do a bedtime yoga and focus.
 
I know this may seem odd to some people- and hopefully you were able to follow my chain of thought on this one.
 
 



I actually started this post a week ago and I am happy to say that I am doing good at this and I think it is helping me focus (and stretch).  I think this is a good Lenten goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog