Thursday, May 15, 2014

Gluten-Free Fruit and Yogurt Granola Cups (with berries of course)

Food for friends....

Photo: My first day outside and first walk.I remember when Marcus was a new born and everything just seemed to fly by.  We were exhausted and just really focused on him.  That meant that, at times, we did not do the best job of eating nutritious (and yummy) food.  I think we ate best when my mom fed us.  Luke was actually reminiscing over the peanut butter cookies mom made (hint, hint) earlier today.

As a result of this, I try to bring a meal to my friends who are new parents whenever I can make it work.  Since right now I am not working, I don't have any excuse.  My friends – Cindy and Mark – had a beautiful baby girl last week, and tonight I volunteered to bring them some food.  So I came up with a menu.  I have to admit that as a vegetarian I struggle to figure out what to bring for meat-eaters because I don't have a clue what is good anymore.  So for that I just Pinterested a recipe and went with it (Chicken Enchilada Soup), got some crusty bread, cut up fruit kabobs, and of course, came up with a desert.  Last week, when I was reading people magazine, I saw a recipe that looked really yummy.  It is a Gluten-Free Fruit and Yogurt Granola Cups recipe by Molly Sims.  It was a great, easy, and yummy recipe and I will make it again.


  

Gluten-Free Fruit and Yogurt Granola Cups

Makes 10 cups
Cooking oil spray
3 tbsp. light brown sugar
3 tbsp. coconut oil or melted butter
1 egg
1 (12-ounce) bag gluten-free granola
1 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
Fresh berries (I used raspberries and they really nicely balanced out the tartness from the plain Greek yogurt)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin tin with cooking oil spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil or butter, and egg; stir.  Add granola and stir to combine.
3. Spoon granola mixture into 10 muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.  With your fingers, press the granola into the muffin cups and create a small indentation in the middle of each granola cup.
4. Place tin in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden.
5. Remove from the oven and allow cups to rest for 5 minutes in the muffin tin before removing.
6. Once cooled, fill each granola cup with yogurt and top with berries
Here is a link to the People Magazine Article and Recipe – People Magazine Recipe.
A few notes that I added a bit later.....  
- I have also made these in the mini muffin pan and I prefer it.  You get a full pan out of one receipe.  If you you make them in the mini muffin pan bake for 13 minutes instead of 15 so they don't burn.
- Make sure you let them cool before removing from the pan or they will crumble
- Try different types of granola to mix it up.  I have yet to find out I don't like..

When all of the cooking was done today I brought them over the dinner.  The best part of the day is that I got to hold baby Elizabeth!


Baby Myhre and me!  She is cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog