Monday, March 7, 2016

Swimming Lesson


Marcus is becoming such a big boy!  We had yet another first this week.  He started swimming lessons.  He has been in swimming lessons before but this is the first time that he is alone in the water and not with Mommy or Daddy.

We have been talking about these swimming lessons since we signed up a month ago and he has been pretty excited about it.  Well that was until we actually got there tonight.  When we got to the locker room Marcus completely melted down.  He started screaming "No Mommy" and crying super loud.  I was super embarrassed- it was pretty clear that the people in the locker room, and maybe in the pool could hear the melt down.  It took me a bit but I was finally able to get him in his swim suit.

Next I had to carry him out to the pool- he was still not participating or being helpful at all.  Wow it was crazy and I didn't know how the actual swimming lesson itself was going to go.

The good news is that it went almost as good as possible.  When he sat down on the stair next to the other kids, the teacher gave him a water toy and that completely calmed him down.  He actually started getting into it after a few moments and there were only a few times when I had to remind him to stay still and stay on the step.






 The teacher spent a little bit of one on one time with each of the kids and brought them out and spun them in the circle.  Marcus looked and me and gave me a huge smile when he was done.




 
When we were done with swim lessons I gave Marcus a choice of either playing the water park area or going to the tree house.  He picked playing in the water and he loved it!




When we left the pool and the community center Marcus asked if we could go to swimming lessons again tomorrow.  I am going to call this one a win.  I bet next week is a lot easier!

1 comment:

  1. It is best to start lessons young before children develop a fear of water. I remember the years Lisa and you were lifeguards. I guess both of you got the love of swimming from your mother.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog