Sunday, April 10, 2016

The University of Minnesota Museums



Weisman Art Museum.jpg
Today was a wonderful day for our family.  We just had a blast hanging out together.  After Marcus and I went to church this morning we decided to go a visit the Bell Museum at the University of Minnesota, which is free on Sundays.  When we were at campus we made a game time decision to park across campus from the museum and to also visit the Weisman Museum

The Weisman is a modern art museum and isn't a place that we have visited too often, both Luke and I think we haven't been in about 10 years.  I was so much more impressed that I expected to be and the museum was so much better than I remembered.  Just one FYI, this is a not a huge museum and it only took us about 25 minutes to look at all of the exhibits (especially since we go at a toddler's pace). 

Marcus loved the trains in this picture.
Sometimes I don't think of taking Marcus to see art museums (although we did go to the MIA a few weeks ago) because it is art but when we got I quickly remember how important art is and how much he appreciated it.  He walks around tells us which "art projects" he likes the most.  I think he imagines they are just like the art projects he makes at daycare.  He also tells us the pieces he doesn't like by dragging us forward and not dallying in front of the ones he is not a fan of.  I think there were about 6 pieces at the Weisman today that he just couldn't get enough of.  I didn't get pictures of all of them but I got most.





Marcus loved the tree picture below.  It was huge and made of beads.  Because of the way it was constructed you could blow on it and simulate the image of blowing leaves.



The next exhibit he really liked was the cloud made of light bulbs and strings.  A person could actually turn them on and off again.  It was pretty neat.






 The last thing he liked was a projection wall full of clouds.  In the picture Luke and Marcus are busy making shadows on the clouds.  It was pretty neat.


 We all had so much fun.  It made me wish I was a bit more creative.  I could really see Marcus thinking of all of the similar art projects he wanted to make when we got home.

2 comments:

  1. Remember when we dragged you to so many museums, parks, events and such. Now you get to carry on the tradition. Mom and I always used taking you and your siblings to these things as a good excuse to go ourselves. Sneaky weren't we. Those days brought so much pleasure and memories.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep we are carrying on the tradition forward. Marcus is going to be just as full of trivial and at times worthless information as we I am. Lucky boy! I am glad you shared all of the museum and parks with us- I do think it made me a more interesting person.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog