Saturday, April 23, 2016

Marcus the Crafter


 
My little boy loves crafts, making bracelets, taking care of his stuffed animals and playing in his kitchen.  He also loves playing outside, building tents, tractors and playing in the mud.  In my mind, these are all equal activities, I love that he loves so many different things and he doesn’t seem to be limited by what he should like or what he is expected to like.  The world is still very open to him and in so many ways it is limitless.  I believe that one of my jobs as his mom is to keep these doors open as long as possible. 

Pink Crafting Aisle
Society is not always as good about helping to keep these doors open.  When we go to the store to pick out supplies we are confronted by the packaging and the colors surrounding these activities.  If you go into Michaels to by crafting supplies like bracelets, the packaging is full of pictures of little girls and “girly” colors like pink and reds and occasionally a yellow.  But clearly from these images this project is meant for a little girl.  Fortunately Marcus hasn’t caught onto this yet.  He doesn’t notice the packaging or understand that “pink” is the girls color.  He just sees fun and joy.  I hope this lasts forever but I am realist and know that at some point someone it going to point out to him that making bracelets isn’t for boys and then he may stop, but I hope not and I hope that is a long time for now.
 
Marcus learning to cross stitch
We have tried really hard to let him grow and develop his own interests but I don’t think society has done right by little boys in allowing them to reach for what interests them.   I think that Mom’s  (and dad’s too) have done an amazing job in making sure that their daughters can do and be anything.  We see a push for girls to succeed in STEM and we tell them they can do and whatever they dream. Heck, Barbie has done pretty much every job possible and in heels.  I applaud these efforts and dream of the days that females truly achieve equity and break the glass ceiling.  I am a feminist and proud of it.  But I am not sure that we have done justice for our sons.  While we dream of little girls driving tractors the thought of a little boy playing with babies still makes some people uncomfortable.   Although this disdain is not overt, because of the packaging and the coloring the message is still clear- Some things are really still just meant for girls.

Marcus loves stickers
This is my fight, as Marcus’s Momma, I want to let him grow up to do and be anything.  That message is good enough for a girl and is also good enough for him.  Regardless of color or packaging or history, Marcus can do anything and be anything.  If his interests lead him to cooking, so be it, or farming, or where ever his heart leads.  I am going to be there to support it.  My job is not to close doors but instead to open them and create options and opportunities.   When people say “boys will be boys” I want to let them know that yes “boys will be boys” but they shouldn’t be limited because they are boys.


1 comment:

  1. I have felt for a long time that as a rule society, schools and families have done a poor job with boys. All traits associated with boys are not bad nor all traits associated with girls, good. We need both the nurturing aspect usually exhibited by females and the, "get up, brush yourself off and get going" attitude usually attributed with males. I have no problem with feminism, but a major disagreement with those who abuse and use it as a tool to gain an advantage. We cannot undo history and must be careful to interpret it properly. While we are unable to correct the errors of the past, we must demand they not be continued. The best approach is to assure that government, society and individuals play the game fairly and then get out of the way.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog