Thursday, April 7, 2016

Marcus and the yard



When Luke and I were searching for a new home before Marcus was born (we moved when I was 7.5 months pregnant) we toured a LOT of homes, looking for the right mix of what we wanted, in the right area, with the right feel.  It was gross, we saw a ton of houses and only a few were close.

When we found our house, we had gone out for a long day of open houses, and almost didn't go to the last one because I was tired and a bit whiny (in my defense I was pretty pregnant).  We drove up and we were both pretty enamored right away, by the yard!  We went inside and saw the house, it was NOT perfect and was missing many of the things we had talked about wanting.  But the yard and the location were so amazing, and although the house wasn't perfect, it would work.  That was the last day we looked at houses.

Both Luke and I grew up in homes where we had big yards and substantial access to nature.  Our parents let us run outside, build forts, and as a result we both still love the outdoors to this day.  This is something that we both wanted for our baby. So I am not kidding when I say, that we basically picked our house for the yard.

Now that Marcus is almost four, that dream is becoming a reality.  He LOVES to play outside.  I love how is independent and brave.  Last weekend I did some yard work while he played and ran around.  I LOVE that he is now old enough to do that without me hovering right over him.  I never let him out of my sight or allow him to wonder but the good news is that we have a big yard so he has some room to roam.



He has even started helping with the yard work.  Last week, all on his own, he grabbed his wagon and started loading it with sticks from the yard.  Once he had a bunch in there he dragged it back to the wood pile and emptied it out.  He was so proud of his work (I was too).  Now he is excited to have a campfire to burn the wood he collected.


Picking up sticks in our yard is pretty endless job and I think we have enough to keep him busy for a very long time.






I love that Marcus wants to run and play outside.  He asks me all of the time when we are going to build him a tree house in the back yard. 

The good news is that this isn't just a one time thing.  This was another day last weekend when Marcus asked if he could run around the front yard while I was cleaning the car.  Of course I said YES.  He spent about 10-15 minutes just running in circles and around the trees and up and down the yard.  He just loves to play there!




I feel like we made the right decision in picking the imperfect house with the almost perfect yard!

1 comment:

  1. As a little girl you had plenty of dirt in your hair, your clothes and under your fingernails just like a child should but you always had that special love of things beyond your small town upbringing and caring for the feelings of others. Of course, at times we locked horns, sometimes you won and sometimes I did. It helped that I had your mother to gang up on you.

    Nature, science and humanity make for a well rounded individual, a prosperous economy and a secure nation.

    Love you Dad

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog