Sunday, July 12, 2015

A fun Father's Day with a hidden gem- Minnesota Transportation Museum- Jackson Street Roundhouse

Every year on Father's day (like most wives) I try to pull off an awesome day for my awesome husband.  It is, for me, about trying to plan something that Luke wants to do- involving the entire family.  Not always an easy feat but this year it was a pretty great day!
We love our Daddy! - Marcus and Sandy

In the morning when Marcus and I got up we knew what we needed to do to start the day!  Pancake in bed for Daddy-  Marcus even helped to make them.  Next we figured out what to do with the day.  Luke has been doing a lot of biking for the past few years and he really likes to check out new trails across the metro area (and sometimes beyond).  He had been eyeing the Gateway Trail (Gateway Trail Info) that connects St. Paul to Stillwater.  It is one of the many rail trains in MN.  Marcus and I thought it would be a lot of fun to drive and be support.

We headed to St. Paul to find the trail head.  It is not as easy as it sounds as the beginning section of the trail was actually under construction and so we meandered around for awhile and came across a REALLY COOL place that we have never heard of before.  
The Minnesota Transportation Museum- Jackson Street Roundhouse

We were driving by around noon-  the sign actually said that it was closed on Sundays but we drove into the parking lot to check out all of the train cars that were parked there.  A few few minutes later a volunteer opened up the museum-  We learned they were opening it special for Father's day.  That was pretty lucky for us!                                               I didn't take as many pictures as I should have but I guess that means we will have to go back another time.  Right next to the parking lot there were a ton of train cars to check out and explore and that was just the beginning of the fun.  In the museum there were a bunch more.  My favorite thing was the caboose-  I had always wondered what they were like inside and know I know.



I think that Luke and Marcus's favorite thing was the simulator where they got to drive the train.



Don't worry Mom and Dad - I got this.


This is a very hands on museum.  With a lot of things to touch and explore.  I would highly recommend it for ANYONE. 

At the back of the building there are a ton more trains to see and the closest thing of of all-  They have the actual Jackson Street Roundhouse-  For people who may not be as train savvy as me (I do read a lot of books about trains to Marcus).  A roundhouse is the device they use to turn train engines around.  I had never seen one in real life and it was super cool-  So cool that I forgot to take any pictures of it :(

We spent about 1.5 hours there and then we headed off to complete the goal of the day.  Luke jumped on his bike and Marcus and I drove away to meet him at the first predestined stop.


Luke's Gear
Overall the ride went off without a hitch-  we saw Luke several times along the way.  The only probably is that Marcus never actually took a nap- that wasn't good.  When Luke got close to Stillwater he switched over to the Brown's Creek State Trail (Brown's Creek Trail Info) and cruised his way into Stillwater.  Marcus got so excited when he saw him coming!


We spent a bit of time hanging out in Stillwater and we checked a few things out-  Including the Teddy Bear Park (it was neat but I wasn't overly impressed) and ate dinner at a diner.  They gave Luke a free "Dad's Rootbeer" for his day.

Overall it was a really fun day for all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog